When you are in need of restoration services is not on a calm, sunny beautiful Sunday afternoon. Most times when we are in need of restoration services are when our lives have just been thoroughly turned upside down by some devastation be it a natural occurrence such as a storm or something accidental like a fire. It is important when finding a company that offers restoration services that you speak with people they have helped in the past to really determine if this company is the best one to be helping you in your time of need.
This might take a day or two on your part but can save you months of anxiety later on down the road. It is important to find a company with a solid reputation to help with your restoration services. Here are some restoration tips to keep in mind before you are able to hire a restoration service company after a fire.
DO’s and DON’TS:
1) Take an air compressor and blow the soot off of upholstery, curtains and carpet. You can also use an upholstery vacuum attachment and remove the soot as best as possible.
2) Cover all flooring areas with old blankets to prevent further damage from traffic and falling debris. Do not attempt to clean them yourself. A professional will make sure they are cleaned without further damaging them.
3) All food should be thrown out. Dispose of food that was in cupboards and the refrigerator. Pantries should be completely cleaned out. Do not restock the food supply until given the okay. Refrigerators should be aired out and thoroughly cleansed. Do not eat anything that has been involved in a fire.
4) Turn off the electricity and water if it has not already been done by the fire department. Do not turn the electricity on yourself. A professional should be called in to do an inspection before the electricity is turned on.
5) Items that have been damaged by smoke, that can be laundered, should be sent out for a professional service to take care of. Don’t think that a normal washing machine will get the job done. The professionals have special cleansers and techniques they employ to thoroughly clean your items.
6) All surfaces that can be cleansed should be. Especially the hardware on sinks that can easily tarnish and be ruined. If you are not sure of the proper techniques call in a professional who will walk you through the steps.
7) House plants should be moved to another area while clean up is being done. It is important to wipe the leaves of any soot.
8) Change out all air filters before turning on the furnace or air conditioning units. You will prevent further damage to your heating and cooling systems and duct work. Don’t use these units without asking the professionals if it is okay.
9) The house should be opened up as much as the weather allows for. If it is nice out, open all the windows and doors. Air circulation is a must to remove smells and smoke residue. Turn fans on only after given the okay and the electricity has been returned to normal.
These restoration service tips are what homeowners should take into consideration after a fire. Each and every restoration job requires something uniquely different. Make sure that after a fire the first call you make is to your insurance company to help find a restoration company to help with your restoration services need.