Floor coverings are the ambience producers in homes today. Whether you have wood, tile or carpet floor coverings it is crucial to keep them clean. Carpet cleaning is by far the trickiest of the three floor coverings to clean. It is imperative that a professional be contracted for carpet cleaning. If done incorrectly you could end up with mold, browning or even delaminating carpet. If any of these happen to your carpet you will end up spending a tremendous amount of money to replace the carpet. This article will provide homeowners basic tips on keeping their carpet clean in between cleanings.
Tips in keeping your homes carpet in tip top shape:
• No Shoes Allowed: To keep your carpets in the best shape possible don’t allow people to wear their shoes in your home. Make it completely obvious that guests should leave their shoes at the door. Provide an area for people to sit to remove shoes and a storage place for shoes.
• Use Mats: Use door mats at all entrances and exits of your home. Feet bring in much of the dirt and dust that penetrate homes. It is important to make sure the mats get vacuumed as much as the carpet. They will be catching a good portion of the allergens that will be entering your home.
• Wash Feet: If children have been playing outside with bare feet or flip flops offer them a wash cloth to scrub the bottoms of their feet. Feet that have been in flip flops all day will naturally collect dirt. To ensure you keep your carpets as clean as possible you will need to keep your feet clean.
• Employ Runners: In high traffic areas covering them with a carpet runner will protect them from the everyday wear and tear they naturally receive. Another suggestion is to use 5×7 area rug in areas that are used a lot. This can be especially useful in living rooms where children might be having snacks and drinks while watching a movie. Spills will be less traumatic on an easy to clean area rug instead of cleaning the entire carpet.
• Vacuum: It is imperative to maintain the original look and feel of the carpet. Vacuuming can do this for your home. If you vacuum frequently it will suck up dirt and containments before they can get lodged deep in the carpet. Vacuuming also keeps the carpet from lying down. This is extra important in plush and frieze style carpets.
• Spot Clean: When something does spill or your child colors with green marker on your carpet attack the spot immediately. Do not saturate the carpet with cleaning supplies or water. Simply take a damp white cloth and blot the area. Do not rub this will just allow the stain to soak further into the carpet and padding. Doing this over and over will eventually lift the stain. If cleaning up urine make sure to also blot with white vinegar to detract from future accidents.
Following these tips will length the time between carpet cleanings. If you live alone and there isn’t much traffic on your carpet you might be able to stretch out the cleaning times. The same is true the opposite way. If you have many guests and your traffic flow is high in your home you will want to clean your carpets more frequently. The average time professional carpet cleaners suggest between carpet cleanings is 18 months. Be the judge in your home although don’t wait until the dirt is obvious by then some stains might be permanent.