In determining a career often young people think very general. My daughter often says she wants to be a teacher but never thinks into what field she would further her education in. The same goes with doctors, lawyers, engineers and technology. When thinking about careers we need to encourage our teenagers to start thinking about exactly what areas of life interest them. If they think engineering is where there interests lay then they should dig deeper to decide the field of engineering that interests them before starting their college programs. If they really love being outdoors a career as an environmental engineer would play better into their interests then biomedical engineering.
We will take a look into some of the engineering services field below. Generalizing the field of engineering into subcategories will often help to spark interest in on field over another for teens preparing to further their education.
- Telecommunications Engineering: This type of engineering specializes in systems such as; phones, computers, fiber optics and automatic tellers. They are specialist in the field of communication whether it is between a car and a bank teller or businesses working with each other from opposite sides of the world.
- Electronic Engineering: This type of engineering services offers a chance to work with systems that are designed for the capture, storage, analysis and transmission of information. They do this by designing a mechanism that makes use of electrical energy that is able to operate and control portions of everyday life.
- Aerospace Engineering: This type of engineering would be perfect for someone who is interested in the space and technology field. They design, create and control aircraft, space transportation and momentum systems. These engineering services are used by airlines, civil aviation and governments.
- Environmental Engineering: This type of engineering is perfect for a person interested in working with issues that affect the world we live in environmentally. They study, asses and correct issues impacting the environment. This includes air, water and soil and the conservation and use of natural resources.
- Material Engineering: This type of engineering services involves the manufacturing, structuring and handling of different substances be it metal or not. This field is very diverse in terms of working conditions. You could find yourself in a foundry, steel/aluminum, plant or even research companies that use different alloys.
- Biomedical Engineering: This type of engineering is for all those who want to work within the hospital industry but are not interested in the patient care side of the field. These people have a diverse job. They can be fixing machinery such as CAT scanners, pacemakers to assisting surgery teams with artificial limbs. They help to improve the quality of life of individuals.
- Civil Engineering: This type of engineering services is dealing with the everyday structures we use in the convenience of our everyday lives. Bridges, overpasses, roads, railways and water systems are all possibly areas that civil engineers will work in.
Engineering is just one field where the breakdowns in study are vast and varied. Each time my daughter discusses her plans for college and pursuing a degree in the field of education we discuss the many aspects of this field of study. She needs to think about what age group she would be interested in and what subjects she would want to specialize in. Choosing a career is a difficult think to think about when you are just finding yourself out of high school. It is important that we guide our children as much as possible in making choices that will help their better good in the long term.