When taking a closer look at animal biologicals, you will find there are many different types collected for different reasons. Some are used to cure diseases while some specimens are preserved for future use. Amongst the various types of biologicals, the ones most commonly collected are animal serum & blood products, raw animal biological products, chicken tissues & organs.
Necessary Conditions to Collect Animal Biologicals
There are a some conditions that must be met before the collection of animal biologicals.
- Animal Biological Collection from a Healthy Organism
- It is important to confirm that the animal is healthy and free from any kind of contamination.
- It is vital to remember that specimens should never be collected from sick animals.
- It is also critical to check everything regarding parasitic contamination as it affects the integrity of the tissue’s sample.
- After the supervision of antibiotics, biologicals are collected within 21 days.
- The animal should be free from any kind of stress. Quality of a sample from an animal under stress raises chances for the sample quality to be compromised.
- In order to study certain diseases like cancer diabetes, endocrine disease, and Alzheimer’s, biologicals are preferably collected from genetically modified animals.
- It is recommended to collect the samples using methods that cause minimum pain to the animal.
- Site Cleaning
Before and during the procedure, health measures must be kept in mind and maintained After collection, the area used should be completely cleaned. The site must be properly disinfected and proper equipment should be used. The site should be disinfected using 70% alcohol. Used syringes must be properly disposed of.
- Animal Biologicals That Need to Be Frozen
All specimens/materials collected that are intended to be frozen must be transported on ice to the nearby lab for further examination. In case of risk of virus, it should be frozen in a store where temperatures are maintained under 20-degree Celsius.
Small animals must be stored at a moderate temperature for about 5 hours. For blood sample collections, various chemicals are used that are termed as anti-coagulants; sodium herapin, Sodium EDTA, Alsevers Solution etc. are a few.
When obtaining samples from Chicken red blood cells, they are collected from the wings veins of three different chickens and then mixed with anticoagulants. It is important that these chickens are housed separately from other chickens.
Use of Forceps
Forceps should be used to preserve small insects.
Collection of Widely used Growth Supplement
The widely used development supplement for cell culture media is fetal bovine serum. It has the highest rate of fast progression of embryonic growth. When used at appropriate concentrations, it supplies many defined and undefined components. These components have shown to satisfy specific metabolic requirements for the culture of cells.
Fetal Bovine Serum is collected in a sterile plastic bag and is allowed to clot. Once it has been separated from the clot, it is frozen. The crucial factor is controlling the initial collection to preserve the quality of final serum product, out of which only raw material is approved for production.
Using 10% buffered formalin tissues from different animals are preserved. For longer periods of time they are refrigerated under minus 100 degrees and for shorter periods they are kept at 40 degrees Celsius. These preserved specimens can be used later for long-term issues relating to the health of different species.
Innovative Research is a US based, worldwide distributor of a vast array of animal and human biological products ranging from human serum to cyno monkey plasma. You can find out more about these valuable research materials by visiting our website at https://www.innov-research.com or by calling us direct at 888.660.6866.