Cataract surgery has to be one of the most amazing surgeries today, as it can completely restore lost eyesight after their removal. It’s important to look after your eyes after your visit with your cataract surgeon, to keep them healthy and avoid future cataracts. Here are a few tips to help improve healing time after cataract surgery.
Follow Instructions Post Surgery
- Follow the instructions of your cataract surgeon. They’ll give you a booklet with quality information. They should go over this with you, but you may forget. Tuck that booklet into your purse or bag before you leave the clinic so you can refer to it again.
- Wear protective eyewear. You may be given special sunglasses to protect your eyes from the light, or, one eye or both eyes may be covered with eye shields. Even after you can remove the bandages, you should still wore protective eyeglasses or goggles to protect your eyes from the harmful rays of the sun.
Have Someone To Drive You Home After Surgery
- Have a designated driver. You should not be driving after your cataract surgery. You should also have someone there to pick you up, rather than taking public transit home. It can be overwhelming to be out in public, even though your cataract surgeon will do their best to make your experience as comfortable as possible.
- Don’t panic if your vision is cloudy. Once you’re able to remove the eye shield or shields, your vision may still be cloudy. It may take some time for your vision to adjust to the removal of the cataract. If you’ve had an intraocular lens added, it may also take time to adjust. Follow the advice of your cataract surgeon and go back and see them if it hasn’t cleared in a timely manner.
- Avoid heavy lifting or strenuous activities. Avoid these for at least the first three weeks. You should also avoid bending over. All these activities can place extra pressure on your eyes. Even sneezing or vomiting can cause problems with healing. If you think you’ll have any issues, ask your cataract surgeon if you can take antihistamines. And you can’t prevent getting a bad flu bug, but you should cancel your surgery if you are feeling unwell that day. Otherwise, you can ask if you can take anti-nausea medicine.
Try to Relax Inside Your Home
- Stay seated at home. Avoid walking around as you may bump or walk into objects and hurt yourself. You also don’t want to be walking around outdoors, as that exposes your eyes to environmental pollutants.
- Book a follow up appointment. It’s important to see your cataract surgeon for a checkup, so they can be happy that your eyes have 100% healed, and that your vision is now perfect.
Once your eyes have healed from cataract surgery you’ll be amazed at how clear and wonderful you can see again. With a bit of proper care and the advice of your cataract surgeon, you’ll have a lifetime of excellent eyesight to enjoy.
If you are looking to reduce or even get rid of your eye glasses and/or contacts let us at Rohr Eye & Laser Center help you! We offer several types of LASIK eye surgery including PRK, AK, CK, Cataracts surgery and more. We perform all these eye laser treatments with state of the art equipment. We are a leader in laser vision correction, and our goal is to help you achieve superior vision. Contact us today or view our website http://www.michiganlasik.com/ to schedule an appointment.