Residential roofing contractors are encouraging more and more homeowners to consider metal roofing over other options in roofing such as asphalt shingles, clay tiles, slate, wood shingles and more. Why you ask?
Advantages of Metal Roofing
- Durability – A metal roof can last upwards of forty to fifty years whereas homeowners can only get about twelve to fifteen years out of asphalt shingles. Metal roofing lasts. It maintains its integrity in aspects of both strength and appearance.
- Eco-Friendly – Metal roofing is the king of recycled roofing materials. At least twenty five percent of the contents in metal roofing come from recycled materials. Metal roofing itself is one hundred percent recyclable when it is time for your homes roof to be replaced.
- Impact Resistance – Roofing needs to protect homes from damage that can occur due to weather. Metal roofing does just that. In climates where the weather doesn’t only change between seasons, but also from day to day, can benefit from metal roofing.
- Fire Resistant – Metal roofing has a higher fireproof rating than any other material in roofing. Let’s face it metal is near impossible to set on fire.
- Energy Conservation – Reflective materials such as metal aid homeowners in helping to keep their homes interior cool when the air is running throughout the summer. Metal roofing will help you save on air conditioning bills.
- Steep Pitch –Metal roofing is ideal for all pitches and slopes that can be found on homes. From the steepest roof to the flattest roof metal roofing is ideal. During the winter months snow easily glides off.
With all the benefits of metal roofing it is hard to imagine that all homeowners living where the climate changes don’t install metal roofs. However, there are some drawbacks to purchasing metal roofing over other traditional materials available in roofing.
Drawbacks of Metal Roofing
- Cost – One major disadvantage of metal roofing is the cost. Up-front metal roofing is tremendously expensive in comparison to composite asphalt shingles. Metal is a long lasting, heavy duty roofing solution however the initial investment could end up lasting longer than most homeowner’s desire.
- Noise – Many homeowners enjoy the pit-pat of rain on metal roofing but consider hearing it day after day. It is true that the peaceful sound or rain or hail can get a bit tiring after awhile especially for homeowners with sensitivity to sound.
When deciding between metal roofing and other options consider the above while also taking a long hard look at the exterior of your home. Metal roofing enhances the exterior of almost all homes but perhaps to you aesthetically it just isn’t what you are looking for. Only you as the homeowners will truly know if a metal roof is ideal for your home.
Home Pro Roofing contractors offer a variety of roofing services throughout Brighton, East Lansing, Ann Arbor, Fenton and Commerce Township, including installation of shingle roofs, metal roofing and roof repairs. You will find them at http://www.homeproroofingmi.com today.