When it comes to renovations around your home it is important to hire a licensed contractor to perform the work that is needed. The benefits of working with a professional that is not only licensed, but also insured and qualified are plentiful. Your home is the biggest investment that you will ever make in your lifetime. It is important that you are careful when hiring someone as you want to be sure you are careful not to employ an individual who will cut corners.
Everyone likes to save money, especially when it comes to services performed around their homes. When it comes to renovations and home remodeling you will get what you pay for. Many times it is not worth haggling with a contractor as they set their prices based on the number of hours they believe the project will take and the materials used. Haggling may lead to lower quality materials being used. This is not what you want when it comes to saving a few bucks here and there on your homes renovation project.
Depending on where you live the rules for obtaining a builders license differ slightly. This is done for the benefit of the consumer. Some states, such as California, have frequent earthquakes thus building codes are updated to include extra elements of safety when building a home.
In order to get a license, a building contractor must prove that they are qualified to perform the work and may also be asked to undergo testing, fingerprinting, background checks and bonding requirements. Some states only require specialty contractors such as plumbers and electricians to be licensed however if you are looking for quality craftsmanship in your home improvement projects it is best to look into hiring a licensed contractor even if it is not required by your state. Working with a licensed builder often gives homeowners extra peace of mind.
Below are just a few of the many benefits you can expect when working with a licensed general contractor for renovation projects around the home.
- A licensed general contractor will control, synchronize, and oversee a complete renovation. This involves scheduling with multiple subcontractors within different trades to work together on your remodeling project. This is especially important for home remodeling that involves moving electrical outlets or plumbing.
- A contractor saves both time and money. Many homeowners mention that at the end of a renovation they have spent just as much on materials alone than they would have spent on hiring a contractor to perform the work in the first place.
- Contractors have connections and often have a great pull for the urgency of your renovation. It is much easier to get one of their own to help them with a deadline because next time they might be the one needing the favor.
- A licensed contractor will pull all of the necessary permits and call on inspections when needed. This keeps the project moving along.
- When working with a licensed contractor, financing becomes a bit easier to obtain from lending institutions. There is an aura of completion when individuals hire a professional.
- Not only is it important that the contractor that you work with on projects within your home is licensed it is crucial that they are also insured. This holds their company liable for any damage that is done to your home while they are performing repairs, as well as the liability if someone gets injured while working on your home.
For most homeowners hiring an experienced, licensed and insured general contractor will help to ensure a headache free renovation on their home.
Learn more about licensed and insured general contractor Glen Miller the Home Doctor and the variety of home improvement services he offers clients including: home maintenance plans, handyman services, kitchen remodels, bathroom renovations, handicap ramp installations, age in place modifications, basements transformations, and hardwood flooring installation and refinishing at www.glenmillerthehomedoctor.com. To contact Glen Miller the Home Doctor call 734.255.9793 for a free estimate.