Thinking about building an addition? What are you really in for? There are certain things that need to be considered before you are knee deep in renovation on an addition to your home. The dream of an addition sometimes far out ways the reality of it so it is important to really consider all options before diving into any home addition. Whether you are adding on a porch, exploring adding on an entire upstairs level or enhancing you yard with the addition of a shed make sure you are prepared. You can do this by asking yourself a few questions before you start.
First you must ask yourself why you really want to build an addition. An addition is something that is often quite pricey. Do not go into it without really asking yourself why the addition is important to you. I know many people who have invested time and money into building an addition only to realize that they could have done without the extra space. Some people just “need” a shed but find that all they do is store things in it that really should be tossed. A shed should not be a storage area for things that you can do without. Or did you add a porch only to realize you really do not enjoy sitting outside. This is the most important question that needs to be considered with any building addition to your home.
Next if you have decided that an addition is a must start by talking to neighbors, friends and family to start finding a contractor to help with the addition. If you know of someone who has recently had an addition put on, a porch added or a shed built call them up and ask them if they would use their contractor again. It is important to find someone to help in your renovation that is easy to work with so make sure to qualify any contractor before you begin working with anyone.
You need to secure several things in order to start and complete an addition. It is important that you have proper financing and building permits. It is also important to know who you will need to deal with throughout the project. Do you require an electrician, a plumber or are you able to complete your project without having to invite outside contractors to the table? Make sure that you secure enough funding to complete building an addition. If you are halfway through the building addition but all the way through your cash you have a major problem to solve. Ensure this does not happen to you. Make sure you have cash and financing options enough to cover your project.
It is important that you meet with an architect if you are considering a major change to the structural component of your home to allow for an addition. It is important to determine if your structure will be safe for the addition that you are intending.
Then you begin the final stages of building an addition which include beginning the remodel. In order to do this you will need to think about all of the following things:
1) Will you need to put the addition on a slab, a basement or will you have to create a crawlspace for your new space?
2) Begin constructing the outside structure which includes the walls.
3) Add the walls and wrap to prepare for siding or whatever outside material you will be using. It is also the time to install the roof and add shingles.
4) Next call in the insulation and drywall professionals because you are to that point in the addition.
5) Once you are completely framed it is window time.
6) Next comes flooring and painting. At this point you can see the finish.
7) Trim in the windows and doors and your project will be complete. You can move in the finishing touches of furniture and knick knacks and sit back and enjoy the finished project.